Both of my older kids enjoy puzzles, although I'd have to say that RJP (13) enjoys them the most, so we looked forward to the opportunity to check some jumbles out that have a Biblical perspective, instead of just your regular, everyday puzzles. This book is for ages 8 and up,
I have to say that some of the typical jumble puzzles have content that is beyond my children's scope of interest (large amounts of Pop culture, etc...), so I figured this could be a good alternative. What I didn't reckon on was the amount of material that is beyond my children's current scope of familiarity with the Bible! BTW, I'm taking this as a GOOD thing! Each puzzle includes the Scripture reference for the specific topic or story, which is a great help if it isn't familiar.
There are 6 different Jumble Puzzle variations included~
- Traditional Jumbles (Find the Mystery Answer)
- Mystery Person Jumbles (Find the Mystery Person)
- Jumble Detective (Find the answer to a Mystery Question)
- Jumble Criss-Cross (Use the answers to fill out a Crossword-style Puzzle)
- Find the Jumbles (Use the answers to complete a Word-Search Puzzle)
- Bible Passage Jumbles (Similar in style to a Traditional Jumble, but with the Bible Passage printed on the page, rather than only the reference)
My children have enjoyed using this as a "Keep-busy-but-engaged" item for a few church services when I felt it was appropriate. It has also been a "Travel" item. When there were some tricky questions, we enjoyed the opportunity to use the puzzles for "Family time" with Mom or Dad helping to look up the answers. I appreciate the ability to have a fun item to pull out for the kids that reinforces and/or teaches Biblical principles and stories. A+ in MY Book!
I have decided that there are three levels of "play" that can occur with these puzzles, making them appropriate for a variety of skill levels.
- Challenge (Just go to it, without looking at the hints)
- Clueless (Needs those clues/hints to complete the puzzle)
- Scrutinize (Making use of the Bible verses for additional research to help answer the questions)
This could be a great gift for the older "puzzling" child or adult. Bible Jumble for Kids can be purchased at the normal online outlets. List price is $9.99, but you may find it for less at places like cbd.com and buy.com.
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the Tyndale Blog Network. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 <http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/16cfr255_03.html> : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”